|At a glance|
|Preparation time||30 mins|
|Cooking time||3 hours 20 mins|
2 tablespoons olive oil
1kg gravy beef, cut into 3cm pieces
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 carrots finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground Mexican chilli
2 x 400g cans baby roma tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1½ tablespoons brown sugar
Jalna Greek Natural Yoghourt, to serve
For the cornbread dumplings
1½ cups plain flour
1 cup polenta
1 tablespoon baking powder
1½ cups Jalna Greek Natural Yoghourt
1 cup grated cheddar
½ cup finely chopped coriander
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 160˚C or 140˚C fan-force.
- Season beef.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large flameproof baking dish over medium-high heat. Cook third of beef for 2-3 minutes or until well browned. Set aside.
- Repeat in 2 more batches with remaining oil and beef.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, stock, paste and sugar and stir until combined.
- Return meat to pan with any juices. Season and bring to the boil.
- Cook, covered, in oven for 2½ hours.
- Increase oven to 200˚C or 180˚C fan-force. Combine all ingredients for dumplings in a large bowl.
- Season and stir until combined. Dollop heaped spoonfuls of dough over hot stew.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until dumplings are golden and cooked through.
Note: Mexican chilli is a mix of ground paprika, cumin and chilli. You can freeze beef stew (without dumplings) for up to 1 month. You can make the stew in advance but make sure the stew is boiling hot when you add the dumpling dough.